The Idea: Bring the classic English game of Conkers to the United States
The American Conker League aims to:
- Popularize the game through a series of national events, apps and PR
- Raise awareness about the majestic Horse Chestnut tree (During the first 40 years of the 20th century, blight destroyed 3.5 billion American chestnuts. no comparable devastation of a species exists in recorded history).
- Plant 1 million American Chestnut Trees a year.
The Background: The game of conkers is an English school kid game. A seed from the horse chestnut tree (AKA a conker) is attached to string. Each player takes turns to swing their conker at the other in an attempt to destroy it and win.
The first recorded game of Conkers using horse chestnuts was on the Isle of Wight in 1848.
In 1965 the World Conker Championships were set up in Ashton, Northamptonshire, England, and still take place on the second Sunday of October every year.
In 2004, an audience of 5,000 turned up to watch more than 500 competitors from all over the world.
- Major PR, Online and Viral Marketing campaign to encourage people to become members of the ACL
- Conkers “Tournament in the Park” outreach across 10 key US cities National US Championship Fall 2018
- Join online or at events Lifetime Membership costs $10
- We will plant an American Chestnut tree on your behalf and name it after you or a loved one - a great gift
- Our illustrated guide to the ancient game of Conkers
- Entry to The American Conker League family fun park events and “early bird” tickets to the national championships
- Free iConkers game app
Potential Brand Partners: The American Chestnut Foundation, NISSAN Leaf/electric car brand, Million Trees NYC, British Consulate General